The Department of Social Pharmacy was founded in 1947 with the introduction of the course “History of Pharmacy and Organization of National Pharmaceutical Network”. The course was delivered by Prof. A. Boeva. From 1957 till 1972 the lectures on organization, planning and economics of national pharmaceutical network (without history of pharmacy) were delivered by Assoc. Prof. V. Novachkov. In 1972 the Department became an independent Faculty Unit.
Heads of the Department since its establishment: Assoc. Prof. Mihail Milev, Prof. Drumi Bainov, Prof. Zlatka Dimitrova and Assoc. Prof. Mona Stefanova.
The scientists from the department of Social Pharmacy are working as national consultants in the field of national drug policy, pharmacoeconomics, drug safety and pharmaceutical marketing. They are collaborating as members of scientific committee with the National Drug Agency and the Ministry of Health. Close academic and scientific links have been established with similar Departments in Germany, Denmark, The Netherlands, Poland, France, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, Turkey, etc.