The Department of Chemistry was founded as an independent department at the Faculty of Pharmacy of the Medical University of Sofia in 1959. Until then, all courses in Inorganic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, and Physical Chemistry were led by lecturers from the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski ”. In 2010 the course of Organic Chemistry also joined the Department.
Since its founding, heads of the Department have been: Prof. Dr. Dimitar Trendafilov, Prof. DSc. Omоrtag Budevski, Prof. DSc. Dimitria Mihailova, Prof. Dr. Darvin Ivanov.