The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry was founded in 1945 following the setting up of the Section of Pharmacy at the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at the University of Sofia “St. Kliment Ohridski”. In 1954 the name of the department was changed to Department of Pharmaceutical and Organic Chemistry, since the teachung of organic chemistry came under its responsibility. In 1982 the department became a separate unit again.
Heads of the Department since its establishment: Prof. D. Dalev; Prof. D. Danchev; Prof. L. Dryanovska-Noninska; Prof. Y. Gagauzov, D. Sc.; Assoc. Prof. P. Avramova, Ph.D, Prof. Plamen Peikov, Ph.D