The department was set up in 1942 as a part of the Section of Pharmacy at the Faculty of Natural Science and Mathematics of the University of Sofia “St. Kliment Ochridski”. At first it was part of the Department of Pharmacognosy and Galenic Pharmacy and later in 1947 it was established as an independent unit. Prof. Dr. Trendafil A. Trendafilov (1907-1976) was one of the founders and the first Head of the department. When he retired in 1972, Prof. Dr. Ivan Issaev (1920-1995) became Head of the Department of General and Industrial Pharmaceutical Technology. Prof. Dr. Evgenii Minkov was Head of the Department in the period 1985-2000. Prof. Nikolai Lambov, Ph.D., was Head of the Department in the period 2000 -2021.
The Department offered instruction in the following subjects:
- Galenic Pharmacy (1945-1963);
- Technology of Drug Dosage Forms – 1963;
- Industrial Technology of Drug Dosage Forms and Galenical Preparations – 1963;
- Pharmaceutical Technology – 1980;
- Technology of Drug Forms and Biopharmaceutics – since 1995
- Organization and Economics of the National Pharmaceutical Network and Medical Equipment (1951-1972).
With the introduction of Industrial Pharmacy in 1967 visiting lecturers deliver courses in Mechanics and Engineering Drawing, Thermotechnics, Automation, Perfume and Cosmetics, Organization and Economics of the Pharmaceutical Industry (till 1973).